Previously it was possible to download HubSpot template packs from the HubSpot marketplace. These were a collection of landing page, website page, blog, and email templates. The downside of these packs is they did not share any unified settings and they were not very portable between accounts.
Now a group of templates, custom modules, and shared settings can be bundled together into a theme. HubSpot themes do not currently contain email templates but this could come later.
So, what is the difference between a HubSpot theme and a template?
HubSpot themes require HubSpot Marketing Professional, Enterprise, OR HubSpot CMS Hub professional or enterprise.
- More portable between different HubSpot accounts
- HubSpot theme settings allow content creators to customize all of their templates using one central admin panel. All without hiring a HubSpot web developer. Helps build brand consistency between multiple templates.
- Custom modules that belong to a theme are easy to find from the page builder
- Drag and drop grid and columns allow marketers to build or adjust layouts without hiring a web developer
- Themes are a lot easier to work with for developers because they can be developed locally using a command line interface as well as a HubSpot CMS Theme boilerplate to help get started.
- Focuses on coded templates vs the old drag and drop page builder interface (which will probably be removed sometime in the future)
What are the different types of templates in HubSpot CMS?
- Blog: templates for individual blog posts and blog listing pages.
- Email: templates for emails. (not included in a theme)
- Page: templates for your website and landing pages.
- System: templates for error, password prompt, and email subscription pages.
You can learn more about the differences here.
Default HubSpot Themes
HubSpot provides some default themes for you to use. You can also purchase a theme from their asset marketplace or hire someone to design and build you a custom HubSpot theme.
HubSpot themes are a great improvement and will help HubSpot developers and marketers do their job better and more efficiently. Contact me If you are interested in learning more about custom HubSpot themes or need one for your business.