List of questions to ask before you start a new website design
Questions to understand your goals, budget, and timeline
- Do you have a creative brief containing specific requirements?
- How much are you looking to spend on this project?
- When would you like your business website to be completed?
- What is the main reason for wanting to build your website now? How will this help your business?
- How much traffic, sales, and leads are you currently getting from your website? How is this being tracked?
Questions to understand your technical requirements
- Does your business have a CRM?
- How does your team track and report on your sales pipeline?
- Does your website CMS require any data integrations, security, or translation functionality?
- Do you like your existing process of building website pages? Could it be streamlined?
- Do you currently do SEO (search engine optimization)? If so, what are your target keywords and content marketing pieces?
Questions to understand your target market
- Who are your top 3 competitors? How do you think you rank among them in terms of sales volume and reputation?
- How are you different from these competitors?
- Describe your average customer demographics? Male/female, age, location, and what are common goals they have?
- Why do you think your customers choose you over the competition?
- What is the service area for your business? Do you have office customers visit?
- What is the primary service or product you provide?
- Do you have a logo or any other existing marketing material? If so, are you happy with these items, and could you send them to me?
- Do buyers contact you looking for missing information on your website?
- What are the most common questions prospects ask?
- Do you have manufacturing products not listed on your website?
- Is your RFQ form too complicated?
Questions to understand the value you provide
- Do you know of any business websites you have seen that you would like your website to look like or be comparable?
- How would you like someone to feel, or what do you want them to think when they visit your website?
- Do you prefer leads to email you or call you on the phone? Or is both fine?
- Could you describe your typical sales process?
- How do you currently get customers? Is this working?
- What are some of the top questions new customers ask you about your services and your business?
- What search phrases would you like your business to be seen for?
- Do you have photos of completed projects we could use on your website?
- If your site generates one new customer, what is the average lifetime value of that customer (factor in referrals and repeat business)?
- In 1 year after the website is built, what results would it need for you to consider it successful?
I hope this list of questions helped to guide you in planning your website redesign strategy. I also created a free website redesign planning checklist to help you through the implementation.