Before creating an estimate or project proposal, it is extremely important to know the business objectives of client. Website’s are a dime a dozen, but a lead generating website is a rare jewel. These websites are more strategic and help your client generate new business. Below is a list of common questions I ask in order to recommend a solution to help them.
List of questions to ask client’s wanting to build a new website
Questions to understand their goals, budget, and timeline. (qualify)
- Do you have a brief containing specific requirements?
- How much are you looking to spend on this project?
- When would you like your website to be completed by?
- What is the main reason for wanting to build your website now? How will this help your business?
- I freelance part-time so my availability is limited for phone calls and meetings during the day. I am most responsive through email. Does this work for you?
Questions to understand their business and market (research market)
- Who are your top 3 competitors? How do you think you rank among them in terms of sales volume and reputation?
- How are you different from these competitors?
- Could you please describe your average customer demographics? Male/female, age, location, and what are common goals they have?
- Why do you think your customers choose you over the competition?
- What is the service area for your business? Do you have an office customers visit?
- What is the primary service you provide?
- What is the name of your business?
- Do you have a logo or any other existing marketing material? If so, are you happy with these items and could you send them to me?
Questions to understand their financials and the value you could provide (research business)
- Do you know of any websites you have seen that you would like your website to look like or be comparable to?
- How would you like someone to feel or what do you want them to think when they visit your website?
- Do you prefer leads to email you or call you on the phone? Or is both fine?
- Could you describe your typical sales process? How do you currently get customers?
- What are some of the top questions new customers ask you about your services and your business?
- If you do a google search, what search phrases would you like your business to be seen for?
- Do you have photos of completed projects we could use on your website?
- If your site generates one new customer, what is the average lifetime value of that customer (factor in referrals and repeat business)?
- In 1 year after the website is built, what results would it need in order for you to consider it successful?
Questions to understand the decision maker (research client)
- On a scale of 1-5, how tech savvy are you? Do you own a smartphone?
- Do you use social media? If so which sites?